Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Raising Righteous Kids

I don't want to merely raise kids that "aren't bad", I want to raise kids that are good, pure, kind and praiseworthy.

I am very proactive and protective in the things that my kids are allowed to see and do.

This picture of Lydia shows her sweetness and her innocence.
I want to protect and preserve that innocence.

We are taught to seek after anything that is lovely, of good report, or praiseworthy.
Things that kids see and hear stick in their brains and become part of who they are.

I don't want them to be exposed to things that "aren't bad", I want them to be exposed to all things lovely and praiseworthy.

I want them to see and hear things that teach morals and values, that show them how to be kind, not sarcastic, that show them how to love one another, not every man for himself.


As I try to make sense of concepts in my mind I often try to link a concept with imagery to see if I am figuring it out. As I was thinking about this idea of "not bad" verses good tonight I had the following thought come to mind:

As a mother I am like a designer helping a room come to it's full potential.

Am I going to allow the room to do what ever it wants and allow anything and everything become part of it

Or am I going to be more selective and show it it's true potential.



To come to Zion, it is not enough for you or me to be somewhat less wicked than others. We are to become not only good but holy men and women. Recalling Elder Neal A. Maxwell’s phrase, let us once and for all establish our residence in Zion and give up the summer cottage in Babylon" (see Neal A. Maxwell, A Wonderful Flood of Light [1990], 47)

After I typed this post I found someone else who posted on a similar theme, check out her posting. To quote Chocolate on my Cranium "What signals am I sending to my children when I allow them to see or read or listen to things that are mostly good instead of all-the-way-good, the best? As the mother I need to set the example. I have a responsibility to teach my children between good and evil."

1 comment:

Kandie said...

I am right there with you. Good for you and your thoughts. We need more virtue in the world.