Pages

Friday, August 06, 2010

The Joy of Bugs


This is a cricket, a very large cricket. I don't know who put him in the jar, but it was the girls that were carrying him around in this large mason jar.


Becca really likes her bug, but only if the lid is on. At some point either she or Lydia took the lid off and Becca got all worried that he would get out in our house.
But she wouldn't put the lid back on herself, she got one of the boys to do it.


Lydia loves to carry the bug around. This isn't the first cricket they've caught and put in captivity. Last time Lydia was very possesive of it and wouldn't let anyone else carry her bug.
This time she was more willing to share.


They are conscious of the fact that bugs can't live in jars and after an hour or two they set their bug free.
Becca didn't want to have anything to do with the release. She's fine with the bug as long as there is glass between her and the bug, once the lid is off she backs up.
Lydia was the brave one to release the bug back into the wild.
After I took the lid off she shook the jar upside down, and shook and shook.
The cricket wouldn't let go and just fall out, so I just set the jar down and let the bug crawl out on his own.


Farewell to our bug.

We had a joyous time with you.

3 comments:

brittanydaw said...

that is huge! We have sitting on our porch in containers a praying mantis, a grasshopper, and a hornet!

Bridgette said...

That is the biggest bug I have ever seen. I'm with Becca, keep it away from me!

angela said...

Oh...my...gooodness. I have to show this to my boys in the morning. They will be so jealous. The coolest bug ever!