Pages

Monday, February 02, 2009

Marriage



I read an article by Oliver DeMille in which he talked about marriage as the central relationship in society. He quoted a journalist that said that women with children think of themselves first and foremost as mothers. This is confusion. If you are married with children, you are first and foremost a wife.
This statement got me thinking - do I put my role as wife first? With four young children they are quite vociferous in their demand of my attention. I know that sometimes my husband wonders where he fits in. Fortunately we do have a built in babysitter (my dear sister Debbie lives with us) which allows us the flexibility to leave in the evenings after the children are in bed.

I watched a movie last week - "Fireproof" which was about a married couple that was ready to call it quits when the husband's dad asked him to take the Love Dare - a forty day journey to love and serve his wife with no expectations of her. This movie really got me thinking about my commitment of serving my husband. My husband is good at serving me and thanking me and showing such kindnesses. This morning, after working a 12 hour night shift, he cleaned the whole kitchen, loaded the dishwasher, washed the hand dishes, wiped the counters and swept the floors - what a fabulous thing to wake up to - a clean kitchen - a bouquet of flowers couldn't have been more beautiful.

On a scrapbook blog that I visit she mentioned that her mother had a tradition of doing the "14 days of Valentines" where she would do one thing each day on the days leading up to Valentines Day. I thought this was a great idea. I've never made too big of a deal out of Valentines - but I think it's time I started - a time to go the extra mile in showing my love how much I love and appreciate him.

1 comment:

Bridgette said...

Jenni, you never cease to inspire me. Reading your blog is like picking up the Ensign! Keep up the awesome insights.