Pages

Monday, April 28, 2008

Have a good cry

Today was one of those days. I didn't feel well - I was sick yesterday, threw up and everything and today I was in recovery mode and was very tired. My children were extra rambuncious and wild and fighting and making messes like crazy. Then came the moment when I "snapped". The boys know that they are supposed to keep drinks in the kitchen - but you know kids, they will try to get away with whatever they can. Tom poured some soda in a glass, I saw him with it and reminded him to stay in the kitchen. I went down the hall to my bedroom and a moment later I heard a thud and Tom started to cry. He had gone downstairs with his drink and got tripped up or something and bumped into the wall on the landing. Of course his soda spilled everywhere. He said he had hurt himself, but I was too mad about the soda everywhere to care about him at the moment. I sent him to his room. Then Charlie did something or other, and I yelled at him and to top it all off Becca came by me whining and crying while I was trying to clean up the steps. I sat on the steps and started crying, feeling like such a mean mom - yelling at my kids and being so mad. When ever Becca hears me cry she starts crying. This brought the boys out to see what we were crying about and then Tom started to cry. "Why are you crying mommy?" he kept asking, but I couldn't say anything yet, I was still too emotional. So the three of us were crying and Charlie comes over and gives me a hug. So all the children are gathered around me and most of us are crying - and at that moment I felt love, and the anger and the frustration left and I was thankful to my children for gathering around me in my moment of need. And for about the next five minutes they were as good as gold.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds very similar to something that happened to me not long ago. Nice to know others sometimes snap--and nice to know our kids really do love us, and nice to know we can pick ourselves back up and try to be better.

Heather said...

Oh man... days like that are hard. Sometimes it helps to just cry and release all that emotion. My kids know if I start crying that it's pretty serious... and they try to be good. I'm sorry you weren't feeling well. I hope today is an easier day!

Alison said...

Oh Jenni, hang in there! We've all had days like that too. Nice that days like that don't happen every day, to help us appreciate the days when things go smoothly. You're a wonderful mom! Hope you're feeling better!